Elephant Ear - Black VelvetRegular price R 345.00
Scientific Name: Alocasia Reginula 'Black Velvet'
Synonyms: Black Velvet Elephant Ear, Alocasia Black Velvet, Alocasia little queen
- Minature Alocasia Species
- Dark velvet foliage with silvery veining
- Collectors Item
- Easier than some other Alocasia
- Plant level: Intermediate
Comes in a 12cm Nursery Pot.
Jewel Alocasia like Alocasia Reginula 'Black Velvet' is absolutely delightful to behold, and a true rarity among Elephant Ears. Its regal dark green almost black velvety foliage and its silver veins will add an elegant touch to your plant collection.
However, this exquisite looking Elephant's ear is a little easier to maintain than some of the other Alocasia specimens on the market. As with other Alocasia, the Black Velvet needs moderate watering. Watering does not have to be every set number of days, but rather by checking the soil for how moist it is, and then watering when the top 3 cm of soil is dry. In addition, they prefer bright indirect light, warmth and humidity, but will tolerate lower lighting conditions compared with other Elephants Ear varieties.
It is also a more compact and bushy growing species, remaining relatively small, making it the ideal houseplant for people with space constraints or seeking something that won't take over when mature.
Make your Elephants Ear Black Velvet standout, with one of these Styling Tips:
- Consider pairing this beauty with a contemporary Tabletop Planter to allow the leaves to be the main attraction.
- Combine with a stunning Metal Plant Stand and Planter to add a little extra height to your indoor plant display.
Follow these instructions to keep your Elephant Ear healthy and happy.
- Water: Keep soil evenly moist, but not saturated, so ensure that the drainage is good. Reduce watering frequency in winter.
- Light: Bright, indirect light, however, can tolerate lower lighting. Best kept away from direct sunlight.
- Humidity: Enjoys a humid environment and good airflow. Normal room humidity should be fine with substituted humidity. Will enjoy a bright bathroom.
- Fertilize: Diluted balanced feed every two weeks, Spring to Autumn, reducing to monthly in Winter.
Read up on our Detailed Elephant Ear Care Instructions here.
Please note: Alocasia are considered toxic to pets and humans when consumed.