Flying Goldfish PlantRegular price R 345.00
Scientific name: Columnea hirta var. Mortonii
Synonyms: Goldfish Plant, Flying Goldfish Plant, Hairy Columnea
- High fascination value
- Gorgeous trailing habit
- Attractive furry foliage
- Makes for a fantastic hanging plant
- Plant level: Intermediate
This genus of houseplant is particularly attractive when in bloom, often sporting long orange to red blooms that, especially in the variety Columnea Gloriosa, look like adorable tiny goldfish. In spite of their blooms, these plants have an incredibly fascinating growth pattern. Usually dark green in colour, the leaves of this plant are small and rounded, covered with small soft hairs tinged red, hence this variety is often referred to as the Hairy Columnea.
Columnea is a stunning trailing plant that will add variety and texture to a hanging display or create intrigue when placed on a shelf. They prefer bright, filtered light and should be kept out of direct sunlight, which will cause their foliage to turn brown. Furthermore, they appreciate good humidity, hence a warm bright bathroom or kitchen makes an ideal location, and it is recommended that you keep them away from heat sources and cold draughts. Their watering requirements are also easy: keep the potting medium evenly moist, only allowing the top 5cm to dry between waterings.
Flying Goldfish plants make a lovely addition to any indoor space, allowing you to create lush hanging displays with ease and add interest to your plant collection.
Try these styling tips to allow your Flying Goldfish Plant to shine:
- Display it in a Cotton Cord Planter to give it a soft, delicate look.
- For something eye-catching, match a 13cm Bold Ceramic Planter and a Plant Hanger.
- Create an attractive shelf display by using a unique planter.
Follow these care instructions to keep your Flying Goldfish Plant happy & healthy.
- Water: Keep evenly moist, allowing the top 5cm of Potting soil to dry between each watering during Spring through Autumn. In Winter, reduce watering frequency, however, avoid allowing it to dry out.
- Light: Bright filtered light for best results, avoid direct sunlight.
- Humidity: Anything from 50% and higher, sprits daily or place on a pebble tray.
- Fertilise: Feed with a diluted plant fertiliser once every 2 weeks during Spring and Summer. No need to feed in Winter.
Please note: Columnea are not considered toxic.